Software development methodologies at SpericornSoftware Development Model
An important factor in the success of a software project is its development cycle. A talented and experienced developer knows which methodology to adopt for his next project, and the decision is based on the nature of the project in hand. Software development life cycle or SDLC ensures the smooth running of the development process. Let’s discuss the different SDLC models and their details through this blog.
Waterfall methodology represents a linear sequential flow of events. The development process moves steadily downward step by step completing each stage and moving forward to the next. The tasks are finished without pending as the developers cannot go back to the previous stage once they start with the next. This is one of the oldest model used in software development.
- Structured approach facilitates the smooth running of the development process.
- The method is easy to explain and users understand without difficulty.
- Facilitates planning and organizing the process.
- Well defined stages make working easier.
- The deliverables will be specific.
- Difficult to go back to previous stages.
- Expensive as it may take more time.
- Not much flexible in working or may lead to increase in cost.
This model is an extension of the above-discussed one. The difference is that instead of steadily going down, the V-shaped model takes a bend by the coding phase and starts moving up with the testing procedure. This makes it assume the shape of the V alphabet. In the V-shaped model, the testing is not scheduled to be done until all steps are completed but is done earlier. In this process, all the requirements for development are known and defined at the start itself.
- Easy to work.
- Specific deliverables for each phase.
- The chance to succeed is higher compared to waterfall method as this model implement testing on phase level itself.
- In the early stage of development itself, steps are taken to validate and verify the product.
- Like the waterfall method, V-shaped model too is inflexible.
- Any changes in scope are difficult to implement.
- The users cannot get an early prototype of the product, as it is developed only in the implementation stage.
- During testing for bugs, no clear path is specified.
- Time-consuming and costly.
This model points to the task of building prototypes of the software developed. The creation may be incomplete but the users can get to know what the developers are intending to develop and deliver. The prototype can clear any misunderstanding of ideas between the developer and the client as it will give an idea of the nature of the final product. It is also a solution to the previous methods which are inflexible to incorporate any last minute alterations. Throwaway prototyping, evolutionary prototyping, incremental prototyping, and extreme prototyping are some types of this model depending on whether the model is rejected, sent for alterations, or accepted.
- Less time and cost-effective
- The client has a greater role than in other models
- The analysis is not adequate to clarify the user completely.
- User objectives might be misunderstood by the developer.
- Prototype development is time-consuming as well as money consuming.
Spiral Model [SDM]
Only huge, complicated and expensive projects proceed with the spiral model development. This is a clear combination of waterfall model and prototyping model, and more specifically the joining of designing and prototyping aspects to benefit from both top-down and bottom-down concepts. The phases are implemented in the same order even, differentiated by planning, assessing risks, and creating prototypes.
- More realistic estimates.
- Developers get involved with the project more early.
- Good at risk management.
- Huge costs involved.
- Skills are needed to evaluate the risks associated.
Iterative and incremental model
This model was developed to compensate for the drawbacks of the waterfall model. It begins with a planning on the phases and tasks associated. With cyclic interactions in between, the development model ends with the deployment of the planned features. In this model, developers create the system through the iterative and incremental process [repetitions and in short segments], thereby helping developers to implement the newly learned ideas during earlier development stages.
- An early business value in the development process.
- Scarce resources used in a better way.
- Requests for alterations can be implemented between increments.
- Focus provided for customer value.
- Earlier detection of problems.
- Huge documentation needed.
- A particular set of the process defined and followed.
- Increments depending on function and features.
- More customer involvement needed.
- Separating functions and features can be troublesome.
- Integration while iterating has to be considered during development or else turn problematic.
This is the new day version of incremental development. Agile focus more on the customer collaboration and upholds individuals and interactions. It advances towards a working software and put emphasis on fast delivery. Whenever the requirements are not clear to the developers and the client needs some functional requirement in a short span, then an agile method is the most preferred one.
- Decreases the time required to get some desired function available.
- Continuous inputs from the client help to remove uncertainties in work.
- The final product is quality software available in short time period.
- Difficult to scale the process.
- Difficult to create a huge design.
- Lack of documentation.
- If goals are unclear, can cause process derailment.
- Difficult to assess efforts needed in the beginning.
Spericorn offers great web and mobile software development services to the clients from around the world. With great professionalism and work ethics, Spericorn meets the desired requirements specified and deliver high-quality end products and services to the customers. The highly innovative and experienced developers of Spericorn choose the best development methodologies depending on the requirements and nature of project handled. Being one among the top IT services and solution company, Spericorn stands at an exemplary position in bringing futuristic technologies to action and thus implementing top-notch ideas in our world.