Battle of the Web: Node.JS Development vs. PHP DevelopmentBattle of the Web Series Technology
A classic movie plot unravels.
Web development was blooming. So were the changes.
The Big Bang
Development vs. Development
Node.JS and PHP are two of the most popular web development platforms. Node.JS is powerful when it comes to building event-based, data-driven heavy applications for Web 2.0. Node.JS is not a language, but a run-time environment for server-side application development. On the other hand, PHP, created in 1994, was one of the top languages of Web 1.0. Content management systems like Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla use PHP to power millions of blogs and web portals.
Let’s look at their differences in detail.
Node.JS as Superhero
- Can create highly scalable server-side solutions servicing more concurrent requests than
conventional multithreaded servers.
- Is a good fit for asynchronous, data-driven applications and heavy I/O bound workflows where it
guarantees excellent runtime performance.
the benefit of one scripting language across the dev stack.
- Because of the unified backend and frontend language, application development, bug fixing, and
coordination with your team becomes faster and efficient.
- Does not impose strict rules and guidelines which provides for creativity allowing the developers
to select the best architecture and design for the project.
Node.JS as Bad Boy
- Being a single-threaded and event-based environment, Node.JS is not efficient in handling CPU-
intensive operations like generating graphics, audio and video files.
- Node repository provides access to many third party models developed by the community. Since
this ecosystem is rather immature, it is hard to assess the quality of a module before application
PHP as Superhero
- Popular web dev platforms like Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc., and web dev frameworks like
Laravel, Symfony, etc., have a powerful code base which enables Rapid Application
- Systems like Wordpress makes it super easy to create a blog or an e-commerce site in minutes
and allows users to customize them.
- The vastness of open source solutions written in PHP and a strong community are the real pillars
of its efficiency and makes the app development extremely easy.
- Can be run on all servers and platforms enabling you to write the code only once and run it
- Is designed specifically to work well on the Web and includes all needed functionality to manage
HTML, servers and databases.
- PHP as Bad Boy
Fares poorly when it comes to the implementation of MVC (Model-View-Controller) which
ensures readability, easy maintenance and scalability of web apps.
- PHP is slower in comparison to Node.JS because PHP follows the classic client-server model
where every page request initiates the application, database connection and HTML rendering.
More Node.JS vs. PHP
contributed to its soaring popularity. This is evident in the fact that PHP is used in over 80% of web servers. Newer technologies emerge everyday changing the landscape of the worldwide web. There are the veterans like Java, C, C++, etc., and the newbies like Go, Ruby on Rails, React, etc. The decision of which one to use totally depends on your business preference and project requirements. Both Node.JS and PHP have their pros and cons, and sometimes it could become a little tough for you to make a choice. But if you have the knowledge of architecture and ecosystem of both, you might be able to leverage from it.
A Node.JS & PHP Development Company
More than 1200 happy clients vouch for Spericorn’s immaculate delivery, and as a Node.JS and PHP development company, the real strength lies in its resources for professional programming technologies and a shrinking learning curve. Every client, every project is considered a huge learning opportunity, and it draws inspiration and agility from each project to take on the next. Spericorn remains a true application development partner for all its clients and growing at an envious place.